A new point release in the 0.4.4 series has been released yesterday (0.4.4.3). There are not many effects visible to end users, beside a small fix to restore YouTube compatibility. Under the hood much work has been done to support policy files one of the security oriented features of the flash platform.
I’d also like to give some insight about what is going on the advanced graphics engine branch. The roadmap is being walked without major issues. Now the texture real estate for graphics elements is allocated from a single large texture, geometries are drawn asynchronously using cairo on the CPU side and the resulting raster data is uploaded to the right chunks of texture using PBO based transfers that are (hopefully, this is dependent of the OpenGL implementation) handled through DMA by the graphics card.
The new engine is not yet on feature parity with the old one, but to showcase the new possibilities i’ve added support for color gradients. It’s also interesting to note that, after the first rough measurements, the new engine is fairly faster than the previous one.
Another advantage of the new design is that OpenGL code will be pretty much condensed in a few locations. Moreover, it will be used only for accelerated blitting, compositing and upload of data to video memory. This opens new interesting possibilities for other graphics backends.
As a closing news on Friday I had the first chance to physically meet another member of the lightspark community, namely our Debian packager Didier Raboud, as we discovered we are both working at EPFL. It has been a nice coffee-based meeting and we had a change to shake hands and discuss about some long term plans for the project.